Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Nnnnnnnngarhhhhh!!!

'They' say that moving house is one of the most stressful things you can do in life and I can well believe it. I've moved plenty of times before but mostly of my own volition (with the exception of two previous moves one of which was rather fraught as I was trying to get away from a psychotic landlord who wanted to break my legs but the other time was due to a tenancy not being renewed but I had 3 months to find somewhere else). This time it is again thanks to the non-renewal of tenancy not, I hasten to add, through any fault of our own or indeed anyone elses fault, but this time my housemates and I have just five weeks to find somewhere else. Two of them are sorted because they had alternative arrangements they were able to call into play pretty quickly but myself and my other housemate have decided we quite like sharing as we get on well and are looking for somewhere.

Problem is there aren't too many two bedroom houses out there and those that there are tend to be quite small which is a bit of a nuisance for us. Even worse is the general lack of a garage or shed which is the biggest problem as a garage is good for storing all manner of guff, bikes, golf clubs and so on. Of course the very tight timescales don't help either. So although I don't have the added stress that buying a house entails (solicitors and their exorbitant fees, surveys, mortgages and so on) I still have a hell of a lot to deal with in next to no time.

I am actually viewing a place in the next few days that will do pretty well but I don't think it has a shed and it definitely has no garage. I can get a shed for less than £150 but sadly, the problems don't end there as the house has no white goods either, so a fridge freezer, washing machine and hoover are the bare minimum which, even buying second hand, is going to set us back £75-£100 each.

It's not often I resort to too much swearing (well, OK, regular readers will know I do swear quite a bit from time to time and those who know me in the real world know full well that I swear like a docker with tourrettes) but I just have to say that I really, really fucking HATE moving house.

And no, I am not buying for several reasons:

1) It's bloody expensive and I will not mortgage myself to the eyeballs to be able to buy a poky little flat somewhere where my car is likely to get stolen and I to be stabbed (and I can barely afford a mortgage that will buy anywhere let alone a hovel).

2) I have now 4 1/2 weeks to move somewhere.

Frankly, it's getting to me. I think that in the next couple of years I may have to seriously consider moving abroad because I just don't think I can afford to live in this country any more. And that sucks more than I can tell you.

0 comments: