Monday, April 28, 2008

Big boys toys

Really big. I mean HUGE. A new military hovercraft has come into service and it's the biggest there has ever been. It's 57 metres long, weighs 500 tonnes, has five (yes five) 10,000hp gas turbine engines and positively bristles with guns and missiles and is even stealth capable. It looks exactly like the kind of military vehicle that is badly drawn by small boys everywhere and I have to say, hands in the air, I think this is bloody marvellous.

So whose is it? The Yanks are the obvious choice because everything they have is usually bigger and better (so they say - personally I think the HMMMVEE, or however you spell it, is a crock of poo), but it's not them. How about the Brits? We invented the hovercraft after all (or at least Sir Christopher Cockroft did). Nope. It costs money therefore it's not ours.

I'll tell you who it belongs to. The Greeks. "The say what now?", I hear you cry. Yes the Greeks have a military too and for some odd reason they feel they need this leviathan. I'm not going to argue because frankly it's too cool not to exist, so as long as it's in the hands of someone not renowned for fighting wars (at least, not in the last couple of millenia) then that's fine by me.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

[for some odd reason they feel they need this leviathan]

One word answer: Cyprus

Captain Flymo said...

I think this thing is actually slightly bigger than Cyprus. They'd be better off parking it next door and claiming it as soveriegn territory, thereby doubling the number of Greeks on the island.